Saturday, November 19, 2016

Book Favorite: Americanah

Surprise! A book favorite? What? It's been too long!




I'm reading Americanah, an award winning novel by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, in my African American Literature class - I know, I know, how dare I try to share with you a book I'm reading in school because it's probably boring and uninteresting FALSE. This is one of the best novels I have read. It's not some fluffy YA novel (not that there's anything wrong with that, I love me some good YA fiction), but it's also not slow or boring or a million pages long.

Americanah is the story of a Nigerian woman named Ifemelu who moves to America to attend university. The story addresses race and identity, and even has an inter-woven love story amidst the trials and tribulations Ifemelu faces in trying to adapt to American culture. It's heart-warming and eye-opening and I just really recommend it.

So if you're in the market for a story that might change your perspective of the world, but you don't want a story that will send your brain into a downward spiral of confusion, give Americanah a try.



Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie




Do you have any great book recommendations? If so, leave it in the comments below! 



2 comments:

  1. I did not read this book, maybe sometimes...
    Your blog is excellent, I like this! I follow you :)

    My blog is smoothieglam.blogspot.com , if you follow my posts, in the top right corner has the option "Translate", so you can read on your language :)

    ReplyDelete