Monday, September 19, 2016

Turning 20

When I began reading Young Adult novels around age 14, I remember thinking how old these 16, 17, and 18-year-old characters seemed. Like, they were OLD. Some of them were getting married, others were saving the world. One of them even got pregnant. (That's right Bella, I'm looking at you.) 

As I'm typing this, my birthday is in two days. When this goes up, it will be my birthday. I will be 20 years old. That's two decades, in case you were wondering. Yet even though I'm older than those 16, 17, and 18-year-old-characters, I feel like I'm still 14. I feel naive. Inexperienced. I haven't been on any life-changing adventures. I haven't saved the world. I haven't even had a boyfriend. But I have to remind myself not to compare myself to other people, whether their fictional or real. That has probably been the most challenging aspect of my life thus far: constantly comparing myself to others. 

I have been alive for 20 years. That feels like a long time and it also feels like no time at all. That's 20 long years, and 20 very short years of comparing myself to people around me. Successful people, unsuccessful people, my siblings' accomplishments, my friends' accomplishments, total strangers' accomplishments...You get the picture? I tell myself that every one does this, because, really, EVERYONE does this. I know they do. But sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who does it. And I'd like very much to stop doing it.

I don't want to put too much pressure on myself. I know that I'm not perfect. No one is perfect. But this year, in my 20th year, in my two decades of being alive, I'd like to try harder. Try harder at being accepting and loving of myself. 

Totally cheesy, right? But, like, it really needs to happen. Because I want to be happy, and basically I'm the biggest obstacle in achieving that particular goal. So, it's time to start reading those YA novels exactly the way they were meant to be read - as fiction - and stop comparing myself to where other people are in their magical journey through this strange strange thing that is life. 

Another, totally less cheesy goal I'm setting for myself is to not be afraid to share my creative outlets. Photography, sketching, writing, blogging. I tend not to share these things. I'm not a very open person. But these things make me happy. So I'm going to do them. And I'm going to share them. YOLO will be my new motto. I am officially declaring YOLO as my motto. 

I, Maggie, officially declare YOLO as my new motto. 

You heard it here, folks. Stop comparing, start sharing. Bye now.




4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! I totally get what you mean, I'm turning 16 on the 28th of September and I couldn't be more scared... I really don't feel like a 16 year old.
    Aleeha xXx
    http://www.halesaaw.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Like, are you supposed to FEEL a certain way when you get older? Maybe it'll hit when I turn 30. Who knows? Ha! :)

      Delete
  2. Girl, Sweet Valley High made me wonder why I didn't have 30 boyfriends by the time I was 16, haha. Happy birthday! (bit late.)

    http://hellomoonies.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! 30 boyfriends - whaaaa? They sure know how to put the pressure on, don't they? :)

      Delete