Saturday, January 30, 2016

My Top 5 Fantasy Novel Recommendations

I've read a lot of books - some great, some not so great. After writing the previous post about my Kindle Paperwhite, I thought it fitting that I should follow up with some sort of list sharing my top five book recommendations. However, I love so many different books that there was no possible way I could pick just five, so I thought I would narrow it down to a specific genre. Fantasy just happens to be one of my favorites, so here is a list of 5 books (or series) that I would highly recommend that incorporate elements of fantasy.

1) The Emperor's Edge (Series) by Lindsay Buroker

If you read my last post, you'll know that this is an e-book that I highly recommend. The Emperor's Edge is a steampunk fantasy series about a woman, Amaranthe Lockdon, who teams up with an assassin to save the empire. It's a series full of mystery, romance, adventure, comedy, and lots of interesting characters. These books started off as e-books, but they have become available in hard copy as well. Here is the chronological order of the series, as well as Lindsay Buroker's website so you can learn more about her and her work!

Book 1 - The Emperor's Edge
Book 2 - Dark Currents
Book 3 - Deadly Games
Book 4 - Conspiracy
Book 5 - Blood and Betrayal
Book 6 - Forged in Blood I
Book 7 - Forged in Blood II
Book 8 - Republic

Lindsay Buroker's website: http://www.lindsayburoker.com/


2) Shadow and Bone (The Grisha Trilogy) by Leigh Bardugo

The Grisha Trilogy is a trilogy about Alina Starkov, a girl who discovers a hidden power within her that has the potential to save her world from the Fold, a darkness that has been slowly destroying her country. It too, has mystery, adventure, and romance. Just a warning, however. If you have a habit of investing yourself in characters, this book will grasp your heart in its non-existent hands and then promptly rip it out of your chest. But it's worth it. Again, here are the titles and Leigh Bardugo's website.

Book 1 - Shadow and Bone
Book 2 - Siege and Storm
Book 3 - Ruin and Rising

Leigh Bardugo's website: http://www.leighbardugo.com/index1.html







3) Shatter Me (Trilogy) by Tahereh Mafi

Shatter Me is a story about Juliette Ferrars, a girl with a lethal touch - that is, she cannot touch another human being without hurting, or killing, them. What caught my attention right away  was Tahereh Mafi's style of writing. I loved it so much that I immediately re-read the series after I finished it the first time through. I also love the character development - and let's be honest, the romance is pretty great too. This trilogy incorporates a lot of heart-wrenching, throat-constricting twists and turns as well.

Book 1 - Shatter Me
Book 2 - Unravel Me
Book 3 - Ignite Me

Tahereh Mafi's website: http://www.taherehbooks.com/









4) The Princess Bride by William Goldman

So far I've included modern novels, but lets not forget about the classics. We all know the beloved story of The Princess Bride thanks to the 1987 film version directed by Rob Reiner. However, while the movie is a classic, the novel is just as good - if not better. I love both the book and the movie, but if you haven't read the book I would suggest you get on that like, right now. Drop what you're doing and get your hands on a copy. It's a phenomenal story, and reading the book makes the movie infinitely more funny.














5) The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Trilogy) by Rae Carson

Refreshingly different, The Girl of Fire of Thorns is about Elisa, a princess chosen by God to bear the Godstone, a stone in her navel that burdens her with the task of fulfilling the destiny that the Godstone bearer must fulfill. The trilogy truly takes you on a journey to a different world, and it incorporates the adventure and romance that we all love in a good fantasy novel. It also includes hair-raising cliff-hangers and gut-wrenching twists.

Book 1 - The Girl of Fire and Thorns
Book 2 - The Crown of Embers
Book 3 - The Bitter Kingdom

Rae Carson's website: http://www.raecarson.com/










And those are my top 5 fantasy recommendations! I have a million other books I would love to recommend, but that would defeat the purpose of narrowing it down to 5 recommendations. If you want more great fantasy novels, or any other book for that matter, don't be shy - contact me on social media or leave a comment here. I'd also love to hear your favorite fantasy novels, so comment your own recommendations below!





No comments:

Post a Comment